Losing our hair undoubtedly feels awful and it creates a great havoc on our mind. Due to a sedentary lifestyle, both men and women suffer from hair loss. Especially when it comes to the latter, every woman wishes for long, healthy and shiny hair.
There are a number of reasons that can lead to hair loss, such as age, environmental pollution, poor diet, stress or hormonal unbalance. No doubt, technologies have definitely made our lives easier but everything has its own pros and cons. We look for temporary solutions to combat hair loss, like cosmetic products or hair styling products, without addressing the cause from within.
As beauty comes from the mind and a healthy mind leads to healthy living, It is important to maintain a balance in your life. For this, yoga is your ultimate guide to a strong mind and healthy body. Furthermore, yoga can be exceptionally beneficial for hair growth. The more downward-facing yoga positions you do, the more blood goes to your scalp and follicles, resulting in faster and healthy hair growth.
There are various factors that can lead to hair loss, including but not limited to:
- Hormonal disorder
- Nutritional deficiency
How does yoga help with hair growth?
Yoga has many wonderful benefits for a healthy body, healthy skin and healthy hair. At the same time, it is very important that you maintain a healthy diet and eating habits, which will also boost your yoga practice and hair growth simultaneously. Yoga and pranayama have been proven as an effective method for improving overall health. Yoga will benefit your hair by:
- Removing stress & anxiety
- Enhancing blood circulation to your scalp
- Increasing oxygen transport to the brain
- Increasing better nutrient absorption
- Balancing hormones
- Improving digestion
- Improving physical and mental health
Best yoga poses for hair growth
Ancient yoga practice has now become popular worldwide. Following are seven yoga exercises for hair growth:
1. Balayam Yoga
Balayam yoga for hair growth is one of the simplest and most natural yoga exercises mentioned in the ancient books of yoga.
Benefits of Balayam yoga:
- There are nerve endings below our fingernails which stimulate the blood supply to hair follicles.
How to do:
1. Bring your hands close and rub your fingernails (except thumb) of both your hands.
2. Try to rub the surface of the fingernails hardly against each other.
Image Source: Beautifyyourself.com
Also known as shoulder stand pose, Sarvangasana is considered one of the best asanas. It also supports hair growth by activating the most important glands of the body.
Benefits of Sarvangasana :
The most important benefit of this asana is that it addresses the thyroid and parathyroid glands. By bending the neck, there is increased blood circulation to these glands.
How to do:
- Stand straight and take a big step to right.
- By widening the stance, it will be easier to perform the stretch.
- Try to keep your spine straight and bend forward and grab your ankles.
- Keep this position for a few minutes and rest before repeating
3. Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana
Image Source: Bikramyogasanjose.com
Also known as standing separate leg stretching pose, this asana is the eighth of the 26 Bikram poses.
It increases the circulation to the brain and adrenal glands. When these hormones do not work properly, testosterone levels change, which can lead to hair loss. Bikram yoga can fight hair loss caused by hormonal imbalances.
How to do:
- Stand straight and take a big step to your right.
- By widening your stance, it will be easier to stretch.
- Try to keep your spine straight while bending forward and grabbing your ankles.
- Keep this position for a few minutes and take a short rest before repeating.
Also known as headstand, this pose helps relieve stress and calms the mind. Sirsasana also helps solve endocrine-related problems and improves blood circulation.
Benefits of Sirsasana:
Sirsasana helps rejuvenate and revitalize the brain by directing an enriched supply of oxygenated blood to the brain cells. As a result, scalp cells gets nourished, which leads to hair growth.
How to do:
- Kneel down with your buttocks resting on the heels of your feet.
- Lean forward and place your forearms on the floor and interlock the fingers of both of your hands.
- Place the top of your head flat on the floor while pressing the back of your head against the interlocked arms and lift your heels.
- Stay still in this position and return to normal position after a few minutes.
Image Source: Yogiapproved.com
Also known as camel pose, Ustrasana directs the blood flow towards the scalp, while also balancing any abnormalities of the thyroid gland that can also lead to hair loss.
Benefits of Ustrasana:
- It increases the blood circulation to the brain and scalp cells, leading to hair growth.
- It also regulates the thyroxin hormone of the thyroid which can lead to hair loss.
How to do:
- Sit on your knees while keeping your body straight.
- Bow your spine backward and touch the heels of your feet.
- Move your face upwards and retain this position for a few minutes and slowly come back to normal position.
Image Source: The Fit Indian
Also known as diamond pose or thunderbolt pose, Vajrasana will make your body as strong as a diamond! It is one of the easiest yoga poses, and you can even perform it after finishing your meal.
Benefits of Vajrasana:
Vajrasana helps improve digestion and increases the blood supply to all parts of the body. With the increased supply of blood, our scalp cells (i.e. dermal papillae cells) also get nourished, resulting in hair growth.
How to do:
- Simply sit down on a flat surface and bend your legs backward.
- Try to match your ankles to buttocks and retain this position for a few minutes.
Image Source: Yoga Destiny
Also known as standing forward bend, Uttanasana helps rejuvenate the entire body. You can practice this asana in the morning or in the evening.
Benefits of Uttanasana:
- It helps with the proper blood circulation in the upper part of the body.
- It also helps to provide relief from stress and anxiety, which are one of the main causes of hair loss.
How to do:
- Stretch your hamstrings and abdomen muscles and bend downwards.
If you will do these yoga poses regularly, along with natural remedies for a healthy hair, you will surely be able to combat your hair loss.
Improve your health and heal your body, mind and soul on a yoga health retreat in an exotic destination!