Easy Yet Potent Yoga Poses for Strong & Powerful Abs
The go-to resource for planning your yoga retreats & holidays. Find all you need to know about destinations and take your practice to the next level.
Discover Yoga Retreats now
The true essence of yoga lies in connecting mind, body and soul by elevating the life force. It comprises a series of physical and mental techniques, which are vital for our health.
These various yoga movements are also known as “asanas” and here, you’ll understand why yoga poses for the abdominals are so important.
But yoga is not just a physical and mental healer, for ages, it has also been used in elevating our spiritual self. It is the reason as to why the ultimate purpose of yoga is to transcend ourselves to achieve enlightenment.
Today, the way stress and anxiety have marred our fast paced lives; we spend lesser and lesser time to take care of our health and fitness.
Our lifestyles and eating habits are a cause of concern for our health. Thus, yoga can effectively and naturally take care of all these health problems that we are facing today.
The abdominal muscles play a vital role in our everyday movements. If you are looking to have tighter and stronger stomach area, some yoga poses can help you to do so.
With that, find below a short list of simple yet potent poses that will help to strengthen your abs:
Note: As with all exercise plans, consult your medical practitioner first if you have any pre-existing conditions or current health concerns. If during any of the following poses you feel uncomfortable, shaky or experience undue strain, come slowly out of the pose and rest. Remember to listen to your body and modify where necessary to make the poses work for you. Please read the guidance carefully first before practicing.
Plank Pose (Kumbhakasana)
One of the simplest and easiest asanas, the Plank Pose is a triggering pose that harnesses upper and lower body strength and connects it to the spine. This pose builds isometric strength and improves our waistline and body posture.
- Start by placing your shoulders over your wrists and fully extend your heels.
- Now mount your body on your wrists and stretch your leg muscles to the bones.
- It will make your body look like a flat plank.
- Further, lengthen your tailbone toward your heels and after lifting the belly, breathe slowly in and out at least ten times.
- Repeat as needed.
Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
Boat pose is very easy to execute but can provide a lot of health benefits to you. It develops a perfect balance while strengthening the abdominal muscles. It also helps in supporting your lower back and improves digestion.
- Begin by sitting on the mat and slowly lift your legs off the ground.
- Make your body posture look like the shape of a boat while keeping the back straight.
- Now, extend your toes and catch behind your knees and spread your fingers.
- Exhale and bend your knees.
- Extend your tailbone towards the floor and lift your pubis towards your navel.
- In the beginning, do this asana for 10-20 seconds and gradually increase the time.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
The Bridge pose is a vital exercise in rejuvenating your stomach muscles and keeping the spine flexible. It strengthens the back, hips and hamstrings along with flattening your tummy.
Moreover, It improves blood circulation and helps in alleviating stress and mild depression. It is particularly beneficial for those suffering from asthma as well as those who have high blood pressure.
- Begin by laying on your back.
- Slowly lift your hips until your thighs become parallel to the floor.
- Then, place your knees directly over the heels and lift the pubis towards the navel.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repreat as needed.
Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
Fish pose is one of the many beginner-friendly yoga poses that renders multiple health benefits. It creates a great amount of pressure on the abdominal muscles to make them stronger.
For those who spend their much of their day sitting down, it can help to refresh and strengthen the spinal cord and back muscles. It also can provide relief for headaches caused by the stiffness of neck.
- Begin by laying down on your back.
- Place both hands on the thighs and relax your elbows on the floor.
- Finally, lift your body to create an arc like shape using your back and breathe slowly.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat as needed.
Strengthen your abs even more on a fitness and yoga retreat. Elevate your yoga skills and get in the best shape of your life at the same time!
*For more of Suzanne’s articles, find them on The General Post.