From packages for yoga beginners to advanced practitioners, from beach to hiking, from low to high budget, from domestic to fast growing destinations, find out now which yoga retreat is best for you! This guide takes you through 9 steps that will help you make your decision.
#1 Decide whether you are ready to go
Going on a yoga retreat is not just like going on your usual vacation. Here are the TOP 3 reasons why YOU should go on a yoga retreat based on a survey among 450 bookyogaretreats.com members:
- 61% of Yogis go on a retreat to start or deepen their yoga practice.
- 93% of Yogis who have been on a retreat believe yoga has changed their lives.
- 86% of Yogis who have been on a retreat strongly agree their yoga practice has had positive effects on their happiness.
#2 Decide on a destination
Do you prefer to jet off abroad or go to a location closer to home? Or maybe head to a sunny beach?
Most popular destinations around the world:
Most popular destination in the United States:
Most popular beach destination:
- Costa Rica
Most popular destination in Europe
#3 Feeling more adventurous? Try some fast growing destinations
Traveling alone? Nothing you should worry about. Most yogis are solo travelers.
Be ready to join a community that shares the same passion for yoga, healthy food, connection with mother nature and kindness.
#4 Decide on when you should go on your trip
Destination popularity varies according to seasons. Decide the time of the year you want to go and pick a retreat accordingly.
Top Summer Destination:
Top Winter Destination:
Top Year-Round Destination:
#5 Decide on a budget
When planning a trip, it’s highly advisable to have an estimated budget in place. If you haven’t got a fixed budget in place, here are some idea on the average costs of BookYogaRetreats.com’s yoga retreats*:
- Cheapest: Nepal $300 a week
- Average: $478 a week
- Most expensive: Maldives $5700 a week
#6 Decide on a yoga style
What styles are most popular at yoga retreats? There is a style for each individual whether you'd like to awaken your body with a flow, rest in an asana for a few breaths, chant or meditate. Find out the 3 most popular yoga styles at yoga retreats:
- Vinyasa. Vinyasa is today the most popular yoga style at retreats. Vinyasa is a freestyle version of Ashtanga.
- Ashtanga. Ashtanga yoga is an intense, flowing style in which the poses are always done in the same order.
- Bikram. Bikram provides students with a physical sense of removal from the outside world, encouraging them to experience ultimate relaxation and reflection.
#7 Decide on other activities you’d like to do on your retreat
What else could I do on a retreat?
- Surf + Yoga. On Yoga and Surf retreats, learn to feel the surf spirit combined with a flowing yoga practice and recharge your energy in an idyllic beach environment.
- Pilates + Yoga. Yoga and Pilates techniques make them ideal to complement each other in a workout combo for a strong, lean, graceful, and efficient body.
- Hiking + Yoga. By exploring stunning mountain views, you will reconnect your mind to the body, your heart will be uplifted through a mix of nature, yoga and hiking.
#8 Pack for your trip
What essentials should I bring? Look at our vital yoga travel check list and pack now.
- Water bottle
- Loose yoga pants
- Travel yoga mat
- Shantaram novel
- Meditation shawl
#9 Measure your level of happiness
Use this scale to rate your current level of happiness. If you want to become happier, why not go on a retreat?
- Never done: 10%
- Never been to a retreat: 20%
- Intermediate level: 30%
- I am a yoga teacher: 90%
- I’ve been on a retreat: 100%
With this guide in hand you are sure to have an incredible yoga retreat experience!
*Results are based upon
- a survey of 450 yogi travelers completed from January to April 2016
- 2 years of compiled data of customers inquiries and booking at bookyogaretreats.com.
Intro stats from Yoga Journal Study
Powered by BookYogaRetreats.com
Copy the code below to share this infographic on your site:
<iframe width="650" height="5688" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="overflow-y:hidden;" src="https://magic.piktochart.com/embed/13963111-guide-to-go-on-a-yoga-retreat"></iframe>