So, you've decided to follow the ketogenic diet, known for its major health benefits and fantastic weight loss results. The question is: Where should you start?
To set yourself up for success, you have to combine your exercise efforts and diet efforts, but without overdoing it. Easy does it. For the exercise part, these yoga poses for weight loss will do wonders.
For the dieting, if you decide to follow a ketogenic diet, you need to have an effective keto diet meal plan. But creating your own meal plan isn't an easy feat, especially since consuming a high amount of fats isn't normal for most people. That's why I created this sample keto meal plan to help you get an idea of what you should start consuming for healthy and consistent weight loss!
A Sample Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan
Here's what you can have on a daily basis, from breakfast to dinner (yes, snacks are also included!):
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so you have to make sure that it's filling! Here are some ideas:
• Try making a spinach, mushroom, and feta omelet. Pair it with bulletproof coffee (coffee enriched with healthy fats). Pair your omelet with some healthy greens like spinach and broccoli!
• If you have a sweet tooth, then create a smoothie bowl with whole milk, unsweetened yogurt, full-fat sour cream, raspberries, walnuts, and chia seeds. Make sure that when you add yogurt, measure it carefully as they contain carbs as well. I recommend that you pair it with two eggs to balance out your macros.
• Buttered mushrooms, slices of bacon, and sautéed greens is a savory and delicious choice anyone would love. You can also throw in a scrambled egg or two for more flavor!
• On the go? Prepare your favorite keto drink with peanut butter, whey protein powder, coconut oil, and chia seeds. Alternatively, you can try making fruit smoothies with avocado or berries.
Here are some savory lunch ideas that will keep you up during the day:
• If you are a vegetarian, you can still get your fix of fat and protein with tofu! There are a ton of silken tofu recipes you are able to use, which are keto-friendly and have you reach your macros.
• Oven-baked salmon with sautéed greens is a favorite of mine. It's filled with healthy fats that keep you satiated for longer. I recommend that you pair it with broccoli or string beans.
• If you're up for a salad, then I recommend that you mix bacon, cheese, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and grape tomatoes. Use a high-fat dressing (watch the number of carbs in it, though!).
• For those at work who want something more fun than the usual leftovers, then you can make your own Lunchable, keto-style! With grilled chicken cubes, ham, cheese cubes, slices of pickle, tomatoes, raw greens, and an egg, you can have a healthy sandwich you can make on your own. Throw in some nuts and ranch dressing for extra flavor.
For dinner, I would suggest that you go light and have it early, if possible. Here are a few ideas to keep in mind:
• Create a Caesar salad, one of the easiest to do and a keto-friendly option because of its high fat content. Mix in romaine lettuce, chicken, bacon,cheese, and Caesar dressing. Add a drizzle of olive oil to increase the fat content.
• Prepare a serving of grilled chicken with your favorite vegetables. I like eggplant, squash, zucchinis, as well as tomatoes with garlic sautéed in olive oil.
• If you're a beef person, then I recommend that you have sautéed grass-fed ground beef with onions and tomato sauce (low-carb). Serve it with zucchini noodles drizzled with olive oil for a delicious, low-carb pasta!
I recommend that you try making your own snacks than purchasing packaged ones that are labeled keto-friendly. Here are some options:
• Cream cheese with cucumber slices is quick, delicious and satisfying.
• Create BLT rolls and use bacon, lettuce, avocado, turkey, and tomatoes to have a good combination of fat and protein.
• Nuts and seeds are your best bet if you don't want to hassle yourself in preparing anything. Just remember to watch out for the calorie content as well, especially if you are losing weight.
• A small can of tuna or boiled eggs prepared beforehand can also be a quick fix. You can pair it with a small share of vegetables as well.
Wrapping It Up
A major low carb diet mistake is not being able to create a meal plan to stick with for your low-carb diet. You won't be able to fully transition and reach ketosis if you don't know what you'll be eating next throughout the day. It may end up with you going overboard in calories or your carb intake!
Hopefully, this ketogenic diet meal plan gave you a glimpse of what to expect and what you can consume without the boring, bland meals! Start trying out any of these meals and put them in your meal plan today.
Want to speed up your efforts to get in shape? Treat yourself with a stay in a yoga and weight loss retreat and you’ll kickstart a long term healthy process of losing weight.