A link to reset your password has been sent to your email
Already have an account? Log in
We have sent you an email to validate your email address. Follow the link provided in that email to complete your registration.
Didn't receive an email? Resend
Join this teacher training to become a fully experienced, skilled teacher, who is comfortable to take on any class with ease and grace. Hardly any yoga training out there actually has you teach any classes. Often you leave with a certificate, yet you have never taught a class! Here you will be teaching every day. You will practice and teach everything you learn, including meditations, pranayama, philosophy etc. You will receive feedback, corrections, suggestions, and you will work on finding your own voice. Come and become a teacher of the quality you might have never met, or you've never dreamed you could ever become yourself!
You will be staying in your own private jungle cabin, placed in the gorgeous natural setting of the ashram. The cabins are a comfortable size, with a beautiful locally crafted bed, a comfortable mattress, and stunning river views. Comfort, yet close to nature. The ashram is a quiet retreat away from the noise of towns and cars. They have 12 acres of stunning waterfall (the largest in the area with 3 levels) and river land.
They have their own budding vegetable garden and fruit forest, a beautiful log fire circle, many secluded, private shady areas with trees, meditation, practice and relaxation areas by the river. Drinking water comes from a fresh water spring straight out of the rocks on the land. The yoga platform is surrounded by lush greenery and exotic animals.
During this program, you will learn to teach Ahimsa Yoga Ashram's exciting, yet simple, logical and truly revolutionary new approach to Hatha yoga, that tweaks traditional postures in sometimes just the slightest magical way, transforming your and your students' experience with their bodies, and the very way your students will ever think about yoga.
You will learn and practice how to put your own sequences together (depending on level, injuries, age, etc), You will be able to see / feel where a body is closed and how to help it open. You will intricately practice how to adjust, get your students deeper into postures, read bodies, make up, and teach variations tailored to individual students bodies, how to walk the room, how to use voice corrections, and give variations for different level students in the same class.
You will fully immerse yourself in your own body, your students', and your own teaching practice. You will learn, live, and teach yogic philosophy. When you leave here you will be comfortable to teach classes, workshops and privates. Nothing here is just theory!
You will learn and practice why you do every single movement, what the purpose is. For example, did you know that pulling out the buttcheeks in a sitting posture is supposed to rotate your hip so that you can effortlessly sit straighter? There are hundreds of these tiny little pointers, that can transform your and your students practice.
Come and find your own voice! Ahimsa Yoga Ashram is a Yoga Alliance YACEP (Continued Education Provider) and their courses can count toward Continued Education requirements.
The program is designed for you to become a Hatha yoga teacher, although the principles learned here can be applied to any style of Yoga. This will enable you to teach Hatha yoga classes, but also teach style independent private, one on one alignment classes, as well as alignment workshops for everyone.
With thorough guidance and daily preparation, you will teach every day and will, therefore, leave there an experienced teacher, ready and confident to teach. At the XianYoga yoga teacher training course, you will not learn a pre-written script to get students through a class of general movement.
You will learn to teach from your own extensive understanding, experience, practice, and by intrinsically understanding yoga. You will learn to apply all principles yourself, and from that base, you will learn to teach from knowledge and experience, rather than from notes.
At the Xian YTT you will not receive ready-made sequences or templates for how to teach. But you will learn how to make them. You will receive constant personal feedback from Xian and your fellow students. You will learn through lectures and demonstrations, but most of all through practice and repetition, you will learn through listening to yourself and others.
All sharing will turn into teaching, as you learn every day. You will teach classes to other students, who will deliberately do things ‘wrong’ so that you can learn how to adjust, tailor your classes to different levels, and give variations.
You will practice to give talks on various yogic subjects and teach many asana, pranayama, and meditation classes. It’s going to be a lot of work and “putting yourself out there”, but it’s going to be a lot of fun too. The most important thing to know is that nobody can make you into a teacher. Only you can do it. So, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.
It is not about becoming somebody else, but about becoming you and finding your voice, becoming your voice, and then teaching, and sharing what you love.
By giving you the tools, experience, and practice, you will understand the sequencing of asanas for a class. You will be able to put together your own sequences for different lengths, variations to difficult postures or levels and themes, as well as studio yoga.
You will be able to teach up to 15-hours of workshop on XianYoga alignment, which you will learn in the first ten days of the intensive immersion training (principles behind standing, sitting, walking, forward bend, side bend, chest openers, turns and combinations).
You will be able to teach bandhas, mudras, pranayamas, and meditation.
You will be able to teach the yoga principles workshop on philosophy and history.
You will experience on your own body what it feels like when your body feels absolutely fabulous, when your body is open, and when your energy channels are open.
You will have many hours of personal or individual attention.
You will have taught many classes.
06:00 Wake up. Semi-compulsory waterfall shower
06:30 Self practice
07:00 First class, lecture, and students teaching
10:30 Class, lecture, and students teaching with 30 min. break
12:30 Optional library time
14:15 Group subject discussion, reading, review of taught topics for in depth understanding, snacks
16:00 Homework, teaching, and class preparation
17:30 Self-practice, speaking out loud
TO FOLLOW IS THE DETAILED / COMPLETE COURSE SYLLABUS / CONTENT
“Find your Own Voice and Transform To Roar”
200+ hrs Yoga Alliance Certified +200 hrs hands-on practice/preparation/experience/life application
Teaching is both an art and a science
THE COURSE CONTENT BELOW ARE NOT JUST LECTURES, BUT YOU LEARNING AND DOING THE CONTENT OF EACH MODULE, AND THEN HANDS ON, CONTINUOUS PRACTICE OF YOU LEARNING HOW TO TEACH THEM, IN ACTUAL CLASSES, EVERY DAY!
TEACHING, TRAINING AND PRACTICE
Demonstrations and exercises for the student to experience XianYoga. To Experience a Yoga, which slightly changes traditional postures to achieve an alignment that guarantees full body openness and energetic flow, without any discomfort or pain. And learning how to teach it.
In depth analysis of individual yoga modules, ie standing, sitting, forward, backward, sideward bends, twists, combinations, inversions, standing balances and hand balancing postures. Breaking down each module into individual postures and each posture into the following:
• Pelvic work, alignment of pelvis as the foundation for all modules
• Addressing of hyper extension
• Weight distribution on feet and toes
• Food and ankle positions
• Hand, arm and shoulder position/rotations
• Head position
• Dristi (view point)
• How to achieve full opening of the body through spirals, arch and continuous elongation.
• Using breath to see if the body is fully open, if breath is restricted, energy flow is restricted.
• How to protect vulnerable body parts, lower back, wrists, ankles etc. through correct alignment
• Once the basics have been addressed, and students have understood the principles behind movement and stretching, students will be given new postures and time to figure out/apply XianYoga alignment principles for themselves before they will be taught in class.
• Students will receive hands-on assists and adjustments for all postures and observe others being adjusted.
For Balancing postures: The concept of meditatively rooting and grounding beforehand, of ‘being’ balance and only shifting position, rather than ‘trying’ to balance.
5 Tibeteans for wrist, shoulder and arm strengthening and chakra stimulation.
Emphasis on understanding the flow into the posture, the posture itself and moving out of the posture as a constant conscious journey of full body awareness, continuous energetic and physical alignment and mental presence.
The aim is for the student to experience the practice of XianYoga in great detail. To feel difference ‘before’ and ‘after’ adjustment. This will create enthusiasm, passion, body memory and will help to refine and broaden the students own practice. From that basis, students will learn to teach. Slowly students will begin to put words to their own practice and describe what they are doing step by step in preparation to teach the asana.
Students will learn tips and tricks on how to remember ‘what to say’ during class and how to remember important elements.
Students will learn through lectures and demonstrations, but most of all through practice and repetition, their own and others’.
To know the magical difference slight variations can make to traditional postures and creating body memory which will help to memorize ‘what’ to teach in class.
We will go through some of the main asana taught today and will address variations for various requirements. We will demonstrate and have the students experience variations for stiff people, for protecting injuries, weak zones/muscles/bones, or other physical limitations etc., to spice up a yoga class or to address specific muscle areas.
Addressed will be besides others: supporting techniques, props, foot pointing vs. flexed (to give hamstring space), changing leg and foot positions and preparatory asana and stretches.
Students will understand how to move into a posture and which body elements are engaged. The student can then learn to reduce the amounts of elements engaged to make a posture easier. A posture might change completely, but will allow the learner to slowly work on the posture. As such students will also learn to ‘invent’ variations to suit individual needs.
BANDHAS, MURAS, PRANAYAMA, MEDITATION
Student will learn and practice these techniques and learn how to teach them. They will learn why each technique is practiced, what the benefits are, why they are ‘magic’ and what makes each technique different from the other.
Students will learn Hand Mudras for each chakra, as well as continuously use Kechari and Shambhavi Mudra and hand Mudras during our meditations. Encouragement to use Kechari and Shambhavi Mudra whenever eyes are closed.
In depth analasys of Moola Bhanda, Jalandhara Bhanda, Uddiana Bandha
Excercises with full yogic breathing, belly breathing to demonstrate the power as compared to normal shallow every day breath.
Nadi shodhana (several different counts)
Inclusion of Pranayama in Asana as conscious breathing, yogic breath, counting, ujai.
Encouragement to use yogic breath all day long.
Kundalini Meditation using Jalandhara Bandha, Moola Bandha, Shambhavi and Kechari mudra
Loving Kindness Meditation
Constant conscious body awareness meditation
Rootedness, grounding meditations
Pre-food grace meditation For the student to experience the power of each of these Techniques, and become excited about their effects and begin to learn how to teach them.
Students will be taught to intrinsically understand the art, science and importance of correct sequencing. It’s about understanding and creating their own comprehensive and balanced sequences, rather than copying somebody else’s.
• Addressing asana and their effective placement/combination inside a sequence
• Standing, sitting, all fours, lying (front and back), balances, inversions, forward, sideward, backward, twists and combinations.
• Usefulness of leg cycles, standing cycles, sitting cycles, balancing cycles etc.
• Correct sequencing warms the body and protects it as it is cold and slowly moves into stretches that we do not use during our everyday life, i.e. backbends and inversions.
• We will address common sequencing errors and how to avoid them.
• Students will learn to design creative, unique and inspirational sequences, as well as putting together sequence on the fly for any length, environment, studio, gym, privates, special requests or students’ requirement (i.e. Variations).
• Students will also learn one premade sequence of asana for the stimulation and opening of individual chakras To ensure the student is completely comfortable to pick postures to make a comprehensive and balanced practice
In this module students will learn how to be a ‘good teacher’, from projecting their voice, to holding space, to when to speak and when not, how to teach multiple levels of students in one class, how to weave spiritual themes, personal stories, philosophy or other points too note into their classes and how to get vast amounts of info into one class without overloading your students.
Other topics include:
• Elements of an effective class
• The journey of the asana class
• Using inspiring sequence
• Class pacing
• How to use voice as a tool. How to avoid ‘voice mistakes’. Clear and precise verbal expression/cues/imagery.
• How to adjust to levels, injuries, limitation, age, even change the sequence throughout the class if required.
• Respond to students needs spoken and unspoken (observe bodies, energies and faces)
• How to create and hold a safe and inspirational space
• The Secret of Pauses and Silence
• Right time to adjust, who to adjust physical or with verbal cues
• Magic of adjusting everyone through observing the room and giving verbal cues to adjust several people at a time.
• How much time to take adjusting individual students
• How to make sure every student gets at least ‘one touch’ per class
• Hands-on adjustment with conscious touch. What is conscious touch?
• How to give ‘zoning-in’ individual attention without ‘losing the room’
• Right balance between demonstration and walking the floor
• Offering appropriate and fitting variations
• The power of demonstrating postures and how to effectively demonstrate an asana
• Knowing ‘when’ to offer variations, how to make people not feel ‘picked on’ or ‘inadequate’ because they are receiving a variation, but rather empowered!
• Art of encouraging students. Praise, remembering students’ difficulties in a past class, remembering a required variation, or praising that a student can now do XYZ.
• How to make each class special
• How to weave themes effectively into the class
• Finding their own authentic voice and style and core message. What is their passion and how will they bring it across to their students?
• Learning to allow the practice that is taught to arises from within, learning to flow with the practice.
• Developing confidence as a teacher
• Class preparation (class plan, mental and emotional preparation for teaching)
• Step-by-step class structure planning, and plan B, C and D.
Here we will also address the Business aspects of Yoga. Topics include:
• How to find a good location
• How to advertise a unique image
• Marketing tools
• How to offer what people want and need
• Offering workshops on Philosophy, History, alignment, private classes and more
• How to approach studios and gyms with our offerings
• Insurance, Yoga Alliance etc.
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY
Proper understanding of the physical body will help prevent injury before, during, and after practice and will ensure a correctly aligned, energetically open posture that feels absolutely fabulous. Students will learn about spiritual anatomy/energetic anatomy, which knowledge and experience is vital to a complete Yoga practice. A minimum of 5 hours will be spent on Yoga Anatomy.
• The skeletal and muscular systems
• The nervous, digestive, respiratory, and endocrine systems
• Stretching Theory
• What stretching does to muscles.
• What is a good stretch?
• How to stretch, how long to hold it.
• Which muscles are being stretched in asana.
• Health benefits of the asana (organ, spine, hormone, illness etc.)
• How bone structure/position affects ‘flexibility/range of motion’.
• Understanding of what is happening in the body when students feel pain. Anatomical presentation of ‘crunching’ and ‘opening/elogating’
• The Chakras, Nadis, Ida, Pingala, Kundalini, Bandhas, and Koshas
• How to feel energies/chakras
• Students will learn to feel when their energy channels are open
• Students will learn to ‘see’ when their students energy channels are open or not
• Different styles of breathing/Pranayama and their physiological effect on the body
YOGA PHILOSOPHY, LIFESTYLE, ETHICS
In depth study of the Yamas and Niyamas and their constant direct application to everyday life in our Yogic community. Every day we will have a ‘lifestyle’ theme inspired by the scriptures to contemplate and practice during the day. Other topics include:
• Basics of Ayurveda: We will explore each students dosha, discuss lifestyle and a yogic diet with topics such as Rajasic, Sattvic and Tamasic Foods, Panchakarma, food for the doshas, use of spices, best time to eat, balancing doshas. During the training we encourage a vegan sattvic diet. We will also be cooking ayurvedic meals with our students, for to experience food preparation and taste meals appropriate for their dosha
• Nutrition and self-awareness
• Lifestyle of health and balance
• Mindful and silent meals
• Everyday application through living in a yogic community
• Stories of the deities, Krishna, Hanuman. Understanding their relevance to us today, embodying divine qualities
• Exploration of Bhakti Yoga and Mantra Yoga, becoming one through sacred sound and invoking the qualities of the deities
• Sadhana and Tapas as pillars to yogic discipline (walk the walk)
• Karma Yoga. Each student will have a small daily task to be fulfilled with mindfulness and presence
• Purification of Body, Mind and Emotions, to reach higher spiritual vibrations
• Influence of striving for Yamas and Niyamas, nature and meditation on the yoga path and everyday life
• Yogic lifestyle (daily schedule of a Yogi)
• Understanding the various yoga styles and what we can learn from each style and how we can use them accordingly in our lives.
• Self-study. Inward perspective of what drives and inspires our students, what is their passion about yoga and how to transmit this to their own students
• Building Community, ongoing training, staying inspired, keeping in touch.
• Giving back, free community classes Learning to apply the ancient teachings to everyday life.
Inspire students to live a yogic lifestyle and to inspire their own students by example.
Students will be comfortable to teach a class and conduct themselves in a manner according to the Yamas and Niyamas.
Students will learn Yoga philosophy and history and practical application of those ancient concepts into their everyday life here at the Ashram.
• Yoga History, Where does yoga come from? How old is it?
• Yoga sutras of Patanjali and their direct applicability to our life
• Eight limbs of yoga. Enlightenment is for everyone.
• Nadis and chakra theory, mental, emotional, physical and spiritual qualities of each and how to open chakras. Which information is new and which is ancient?
• Philosophy of Hatha yoga, Hatha Yoga Pradipika
• Prana and Kundalini yoga theory
• Bhagawat Gita
• Stories of the deities and their significance
• Emotional purification
• Philosophy and practice of yoga Nidra
• Steps and techniques of meditation theory. Techniques, pitfalls and how to avoid them.
• Learning how to weave Yoga philosophy into Asana classes. How to pick topics and use them effectively.
In this module will also address the ethics of teaching Yoga and how to create a safe environment for learning for our students. Students will learn how to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the principles of the Yamas and Niyamas.
Students commit to Yoga as a way of life, then teaching yoga is the extension of their way of life, passing those moral standards on to their students through leading by example and by weaving appropriate topics into their classes.
Topics besides others include:
• Teacher student ethics
• Competence and Integrity with respect
• Non-discriminatory practice
• Promoting physical, spiritual, emotional and mental wellbeing of their students
• Giving best and highest vibrations in each class
• Sexual conduct
PRACTICUM - ACTUAL PRACTICAL TEACHING PRACTICE IN REAL CLASSES
This module revisits the subjects covered in all previous modules from the perspective of a teacher.
Our students will be teaching every day, from day one, as only practice truly makes a master. Feedback will be provided by the instructor and fellow students on a continuous basis. Homework will be given to work on areas that could be improved upon. Students will then teach their homework, as a constant cycle of improvement in line with the teaching methodology.
• Students will observe teachers and fellow students
• Students will teach mock classes to fellow trainees and instructors.
• Students will have ‘mock’ challenges, such as flexibility and alignment issue, special requests etc.
• Receiving and giving feedback
• Practice teaching in pairs and small groups (daily).
• Practice asana hands-on assists/adjustments in pairs and during Master classes.
• Practicing verbal cue adjustments
• Creating classes of varying lengths and teaching them to the group
• Practicing of weaving spiritual aspects into the class
• Practicing sequencing on the fly and variations students will be asked to teach a hip opening cycle or inversion without preparation. We’ll have fun with that.
• Learning the magic of energetic adjustment. Learning and practicing to ‘see’ open energy bodies.
The true practice of Yoga begins when you roll up your mat
Yoga is Life
Xian is an internationally trained and certified Hatha yoga teacher, energy and massage healer, AcroYoga teacher, psychic, acrobat, circus performer, trapeze artist, fire dancer, and author of the book “Why You Don’t Need Shoes.” Her extensive experience of supporting her students’ spiritual development and physical radiance makes her a unique teacher and mentor. Her 20-year yoga practice, which she taught all over the world for over 11 years, focuses strongly on correct alignment principles to open the energetic and spiritual body. Xian teaches with humor, love, insight, and a touch of magic.
This retreat will take place about 5 kilometers outside of San Rafael Del Sur, 15 kilometers from Masachapa and Pochomil beach, Western Central Nicaragua. A tiny local community, Los Chepenos, is only a few minutes away. The nearest town is San Pablo (3.5 kilometers on a beautiful nature packed dirt road, about a 30-minute walk), a tiny local town with a yummy local bakery and a few small pulperias (shops).
The next bigger town, San Rafael Del Sur, is another 3 kilometers (5-10 minutes, 10 cordobas / 35cents, by Rickshaw taxi) from San Pablo. San Rafael Del Sur is a small, truly local town, with an abundant market, all facilities and a PALI supermarket.
The town of Masachapa and the vastness of Pochomil beach are accessible by bus or taxi from San Rafael Del Sur.
Please note that the retreat is held in a part of Nicaragua far, far away from any political disturbances. It is the job of the embassies and airlines to be over cautious, but they have unfortunately not been reflecting the true situation in the country. It is and has been safe for many months to come and enjoy this beautiful country. Please contact Ahimsa Yoga Ashram for more information if you like.
Click to see more vegetarian-friendly Yoga Retreats
Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be delicious, yet simple vegan meals that are lovingly prepared for you. We bake our own bread, make yummy salads and use whatever we can from our lovely garden. Cold tea, fruit and other little yummy surprises and snacks are also provided.
If you have any special desires for food or other items, you can satisfy them during Saturday visits to the nearby towns and the local bakery. You can also opt to add some items to the Ashram's shopping list if you pay for them. They will head out for shopping twice a week.
Please note: The Ashram cannot accommodate special dietary requirements for this training course.
There are beautiful walks in the surrounding areas that can be enjoyed whenever you have time within the weekly schedule. As the Ashram is very deliberately set in a secluded location and the program is very busy, you will have time to visit San Rafael Del Sur or the beach on Saturdays, the Ashram day off.
Xian is also a professionally trained body piercer (by the internationally renowned Fakir School of Body Piercing In San Francisco, USA). She specializes in ritual piercing and breath control.
On request, horse rides might also be arranged for Saturdays.
Augusto C. Sandino International Airport
Transfer not provided
Please book your flight to arrive at Augusto C. Sandino International Airport (MGA), Managua
You can take a bus from Managua, “Terminal de Buses Inter Urbanos Israel Lewites” to San Rafael Del Sur for around 1-2$, 1hr40min. From San Rafael you can take a Moto Taxi straight to the Ashram for 100c/$4, 30min.
You can take a private taxi from the airport to San Rafael Del Sur, for around $50-60. From San Rafael you can take a Moto Taxi straight to the Ashram for 100c/$4, 30min. Cars will usually not come up to the Ashram as they don’t like driving on dirt roads. (If you choose to take a taxi from the airport, it’s best to walk a short distance out of the airport and get a taxi outside of the Best Western Hotel, as they will offer much better rates.)
The Best Western is also a good place to stay if you arrive late at night. Ahimsa Yoga Ashram will send you the directions once you have confirmed your booking.
For this organizer you can guarantee your booking through BookYogaRetreats.com. All major credit cards supported.
Show this Yoga Retreat to your friends.
Please go to your inbox and click the confirmation link we just emailed you.
Don't miss our special promotions, exclusive offers, new destinations and inspirational stories!
We respect your privacy. We will not publish or share your email address in any way.